Book sale!

Book sale!
Jonni's last inventory on sale!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Driving out of your way for a deal is usually worth it

I often hear frugal "experts" telling their listeners and readers not to drive out of their way to shop where a deal is. They claim that it isn't worth it. But I never hear them back up their claim with any facts. So I did the math and must say that driving out of your way is usually worth it.  If you get 20 MPG, you can do 20 miles of shopping for $3 in gas. That is alot of driving/shopping for $3. And I am sure you will save more than $3 on the items you are buying. Most of us will drive less than 20 miles and save more than $3.

Here is how I calculated this claim of mine that it pays to drive around:
one day I was shopping at 4 different stores. I drove to all four stores and tracked the mileage and calculated the gas usage: I spent $3 in gas. But I saved over $65 in my purchases.

Here is the quick formula for figuring it out:


(miles you will drive______) ÷ (Your car's MPG ________)=gallons used  
(Gallons used ______)   x (Cost of gas _______per gallon)

I drove 11 miles and my car gets 20 MPG. So here is the formula for this trip: 
11 ÷ 20 = 0.55
0.55 x $2.98 = $1.63

My shopping trip cost me $1.63. And I saved $65 in shopping on this trip.


Hope it helps fatten your wallet :)
Jonni

No comments: